Griefworks is a community-based program designed to address loss experienced by children and adolescents up to 18 years of age. Services include:
- Short-term activity-based clinical intervention for the child/youth
- Parent education
- Community consultation with professionals involved in supporting the child
- Therapeutic Intervention Groups for similarly aged children who have experienced the death of a loved one
- Structured therapy for individuals experiencing traumatic death and complicated grief
Children and youth (up to 18 years of age) who have experienced a recent loss through death and are residents of Windsor and Essex County.
How To Access The Service
Self-referral, caregivers, community agencies, and school boards etc. Referrals accepted by telephone (519) 973-4435.
Community fundraised dollars.
The regular business hours are 8:30am to 4:30pm at the agency Monday to Friday. Services are available until 8:00 pm Tuesday to Thursday by appointment.
The Dr. Bob Kemp Hospice in Hamilton, Ontario has launched an incredible new service, now available province-wide, for children, youth and adults! A very timely offering for communities across Ontario. Support is offered through text messaging or online chat, and is available and FREE seven days a week from 10 AM – 10 PM. A team of trained volunteers are waiting on the other end to offer you support, or to be a listening ear.
The Children and Youth Grief Network have compiled a summary of the resources that are available on their website, including the following:
- Handbook for Supporters (in French and English)
- Grief and Death Education Toolkits (in French and English)
- Children’s Grief Awareness Family Day Toolkit
- Video series on Supporting Grieving Children and Youth at School
- Tip sheet on Informing Children of a Death
The Canadian Grief Alliance for supporting children entitled “Good Grief”.